Tuesday, January 29, 2008

another post abut Oedipus....

I got much new information in drama today. I was talking with my friends at café and we started to talk about Oedipus Rex. There was information that is quite interesting for me. One of my friends told me that the Sphinx is actually the metaphor of Oedipus’ mother (also his wife), Iocaste. Oedipus succeeded to solve the riddle that is given by the Sphinx and the Sphinx dashed herself to death. Then, when Oedipus reveals the truth of King Laios’ murder, Iocaste summit suicide. So, you see the connection between these two events? One more information, about the life between King Laios and Iocate. Actually they had been told that they could not be married as their son will kill the father. Yet, they got married also but they do not have sex. Unfortunately, one night when King Laios was drunk, he “raped” Iocaste. (can I say it as “Rape”? They are husband and wife. Well, it is quite complicated.) So, Iocaste pregnant and gave birth to Oedipus. This information made me feel more that the antagonist, the source of conflict in Oedipus, is come from King Laios. He knew these things will happen, but he could not control his lust and all the things that happened in Oedipus’ life are the price that he had to face for the mistake that he did. King Laios is the man that started all the unfortunate things in his family. He can not blame the fate, as the fate already told him what would happen.

1 comment:

Joyce a.k.a Hoe-Yi said...

After reading Eunice's blog, I find that there is indeed a connection between the Sphinx and Iocaste. It can be seen that after Oedipus successfully solve the riddle given by the Sphinx, it dashed herself to death. This goes the same as Iocaste. When Oedipus has solve the mystery of his birth and origin, Iocaste has nothing to say to hide from Oedipus but the only way to do is to commit suicide. This is a new discovery to me, too and it is really interesting.